national Arts Festival Banner

Saturday, May 2, 2009


South African festivals are offered support by partnership of Arts & Culture Trust and Breadline Africa.

The Arts & Culture Trust (ACT) has once again partnered with Breadline Africa (BLA) to make grants available. The grants are to facilitate the participation of artists, performers and groups from peri-urban and rural areas at South African festivals.

"The aim of these grants is to assist organisers of South African festivals to extend their programme by applying for support to subsidise the participation of artists, performers and groups from peri-urban and rural areas who may not otherwise be able to participate," explains ACT Programmes Manager, Pieter Jacobs. "Organisers of South African festivals taking place between June 15 and November 15 2009 are eligible to apply for support and successful applicants will be awarded grants ranging from R50,000 up to a maximum of R100,000. At least 90% of the grant must be utilised to cover the cost of registration fees, venue/equipment hire, transport and accommodation of the designated groups. The remaining 10% may be utilised to cover the costs of administering the grant."

BLA is an African-based charity organisation which aims to help break the cycle of poverty within Africa by helping communities to help themselves. BLA supports projects which will make a permanent difference in the lives of communities affected by extreme poverty in Africa: hunger, homelessness, lack of skills - training and unemployment. BLA encourages communities to achieve long-term self-sustainability and seeks out partnerships of hope and growth in Africa in order to connect people who are struggling to achieve the most basic living conditions with others who are more fortunate and in a position to make a difference. To this end the ACT | BLA Fr!nge Programme aims to assist impoverished communities that are engaged in arts, culture and heritage to realise their full potential.

Application guidelines for the ACT | BLA Fr!nge Programme may be downloaded from The deadline for applications is May 7, 2009.

For more information contact Pieter Jacobs on 011 463 6705 or e-mail