national Arts Festival Banner

Saturday, April 2, 2011


Umvithi Youth Development consultants is calling for all talented youth to enter the 2011 - Listen to my Art Rural Art competition. The deadline is April 11.

All scholars aged between seven and 19 are invited to participate in this KZN annual – Rural Art Competition, which this year is dedicated to the theme This is my story, the competition is sponsored by; the Bat Centre, Adams College Academy of the Arts and Tourism, Umvithi Youth Development Consultants, and other sponsors.

The sponsors of the Listen to my Art Competition urge creative children and youth, to use their creativity and send in works of art, which should be original interpretations of their stories, experiences or memories. All they need to do is write a story about their World Cup experience and its legacy, convert that story into a work of art, whether drawing, painting, sculpture, print making etc. Great prizes will be awarded to finalists, artworks which will be displayed at the final exhibition will be on sale at artists concern. While there is no entry fee, a 25% handling and display fee will be charged at any artwork sold, the remaining 75% to be paid to artist.

Independent candidates will be participating alongside youth groups and they will be grouped by age, school, year attendance, categories, Junior, Senior etc. Three judges appointed by the organizers, will evaluate the artwork based on the following criteria: relevance to subject, originality, artistic flair and ability. The exhibition will be officially opened on April 22 at the BAT Centre by Professor Juliet Armstrong; and the finalist will be announced at the opening gala event.

The best of all art will be exhibited at the Art Exhibition, from April 22 to May 22 at the BAT Centre. The winning art-works from each group, which will be announced, will be awarded top-of-the-range prizes, courtesy of Bat Centre, Umvithi Youth Development Consultants and Adams College Academy of the Arts and Tourism.

The competition is open to scholars enrolled full time in high schools, colleges, community colleges, trade schools, or professional schools (Design, Architecture, etc.) are eligible to enter. Team entries are accepted, team size limited to 4 scholars. Teams may be from different schools or different classrooms within a school. Team entries require student release form from each team member. Only KZN citizens are eligible for prizes, but other students from any other province or country may enter. Other entries not from KZN may win trophy or certificate and will be part of exhibits.

All entries must be submitted in full no later than 12h00 noon on April 11 at the designated area, zone or ward. More information and entry forms available on 076 318 2644 or email: